Heath and Safety - Strategic Risk Management: Academy and Free School Gold and Silver Packages
The health and safety packages for September 2020 - August 2021 are now available to be purchased.
The Strategic Risk Management team offer support and guidance on all health and safety matters through the provision of specialist advice, policies and guidance, including accident and incident reporting,learning outside the classroom and training.
Services are provided by a team of experienced health and safety and education professionals, managed by a chartered safety and health practitioner.
The team are committed to providing a high quality and valued service to enable schools to work in a safe and effective way, adopting the HSE sensible and proportionate approach to health and safety.
Governing bodies, headteachers, managers and staff have key roles to play in achieving and maintaining high standards of health and safety in
The resources pages are regularly updated to take account of new guidance and changes in legislation.
Academy and Free Schools Gold and Silver Packages:
The Gold package offers a complete health and safety advisory service with access to competent health and safety advice and training, enabling you to
comply with your legal responsibilities and statutory obligations. Support for headteachers and governors in the form of a model health and safety policy,
guidance documents, checklists and example risk assessments that provide a framework for managing your health and safety responsibilities.
The Silver package is a remote advisory service. It includes all of the Gold package benefits with the exception of onsite school visits. Onsite visits
include moving and handling support for children/young people with disabilities.
Schools who choose the Silver package option can subsequently purchase support visits.
Academies and free schools can be confident the advice and support they receive is provided by qualified, competent health and safety professionals, who understand the nature of schools and the pressures on headteachers and governors.
This year we will launching an online self-assessment tool for schools to review their health and safety arrangements. The review consists of 23 questions that cover the main areas of the management of health and safety. This will be included in the gold and silver packages.
The Gold package includes:
• Unlimited access to telephone and email advice through our helpdesk
(weekdays 8.00 - 4.00)
• Emergency out of hours support for school trips (Surrey schools)
• General health and safety advice
• Off site learning and school journey advice and compliance with the Equality
• Approval and access to the dedicated school journey website EVOLVE
• Training courses at the local authority discounted rate
• Monitoring and inspection of your health and safety management system (full audits incur an additional cost)
• Fire safety advice
• Incident and accident reporting (using OSHENS software system), support and monitoring
• Accident investigation support following any major incident reportable to the Health and Safety Executive
• Membership of Consortium of Local Education Authorities for the Provision of Science Services (CLEAPSS)
• Membership of The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA)
• Access to health, safety and welfare announcements, guidance and warnings through newsletters
• Curricular health and safety advice and support (physical education, design and technology, creative arts, science)
• School model policies, authoritative guidance, templates and checklists and topic specific information
• Guidance, training and support for moving and handling young people with disabilities
EVOLVE can be used to monitor journeys. Reports can be generated from the system to show the level and details of learning outside the classroom, which might be beneficial evidence to Ofsted.
Using the incident and accident reporting system provides compliance with health and safety legislation (Health and Safety at Work Act and Reporting of
Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations, RIDDOR).
The Silver package can also be purchased by academies out of Surrey, who are part of a Surrey multi-academy trust.
If you are an independent school in Surrey, please contact the team on email@example.com
Home Learning support from REMA. Translations also available
The Surrey REMA Team has been looking at ways we can support schools at this time.
As you will be aware, in the case of both EAL and GRT pupils, it is particularly important that their language skills continue to develop even though they are not in school. For EAL pupils, continued development of their first language is also key, as this will support their acquisition of English.
Some members of the REMA Specialist Teaching Team have put together ideas for parents and carers to use at home so they can enable the continued development of their children’s language and knowledge base. The attached documents contain suggested activities and strategies as well as links to relevant online material.
The primary and secondary materials are available translated into the following languages: Arabic, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, and Romanian. The primary material has also been translated into Turkish. These translations are also attached
We hope you will find this material helpful.
The REMA Team wishes you and your school community all the best.